What a wonderful Holy Week/Easter celebration we have just concluded. In fact, the first four months of 2019 have been very positive at First Church. Our attendance compared to the same months in 2018 is up slightly and so is our giving compared to 2018. We feel as if we are building momentum and invite you to help First Church maintain that momentum in May which can carry us through the summer – therefore, MAY MOMENTUM.
We are asking each person or family who already supports the church to give an extra $200 during this MAY MOMENTUM emphasis. Many of you will be able to do more and some may do less. According to the Bible we are to give as we have been blessed and we know that not all are in the same position financially. However, we know that all of us are committed to the ministry of First Church and will give this extra offering as able.
What does maintaining ministry momentum this summer mean at First Church?
• Jr. High Mission Trip to Kansas City (supported by registration fees and special fundraisers)
• Sr. High Mission Trip to Denver (supported by registration fees and special fundraisers)
• Creative Arts Camp (supported by registration fees)
• Sunday School and its teachers
• Worship and its leaders
• Congregational Care and its callers
• Missions across Arizona, USA, and around the world through our apportionment giving. Camps for young people, schools, hospitals and clinics, agricultural projects, fresh water projects, seminaries, leadership development, immigrant and refugee assistance, homeless ministries, and so much more. None of these ministries stop for the summer and some intensify their work during the summer months.
What are the challenges to maintaining our ministry momentum?
• More sporadic attendance and giving during the summer months. We would never begrudge you or your family the special opportunities that are summertime, but we ask that you maintain your giving intentions during these months even when you don’t attend.
• Higher utilities. It’s part of being who we are here in Arizona, but it’s a surge that comes at a financially inconvenient time.
If you are able to make this extra gift of $200 (or any amount) during the month of May, we will be able to accomplish the ministries that need to be done this summer and come into the fall with confidence and strength.
*Please mark your special gift with a memo “May Momentum”.
LET’S MAINTAIN THE MOMENTUM FOR MINISTRY IN MAY
In Christ, Denny Silk
Church Council Chair
Finance Committee Chair